Careers at Tongaat Hulett Starch
Tongaat Hulett Starch is a vibrant and dynamic company that values its employees. We are a performance driven company and always strive to attract and retain talented employees.
What we Look for?
Typically, we would be looking to employ people with the following characteristics:
- Talented with bright minds who are eager to develop, grow and contribute.
- Committed and results orientated with high energy levels and who are willing to take initiative.
- Prepared to adopt challenging roles and responsibilities and take responsibility for specific tasks to address ever-changing business requirements.
- Willing and able to perform in a relatively flat organisation structure where a task based approach applies and where hierarchy/status is de-emphasised.
- Flexible individuals who are willing to embrace transformation.
- Highest degree of integrity and honesty.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Multiple career opportunities exist within Tongaat Hulett Starch:
Sales and Marketing
Learnerships are offered in the following disciplines:
CIMA Business Accounting
Fitter and Turner
A limited number of bursaries are offered for studies at Universities or Technikons typically in the following disciplines:
In-service training programmes
These programmes are offered to individuals with potential to work for the company, who are in possession of an S4 qualification, or who are studying towards a B Tech qualification. This is offered predominantly in the Chemical, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering disciplines. Other opportunities include Analytical Chemistry and Food Technology.
Action plans continue to be developed to address the needs of high performing and highly talented individuals. Well established training and development practices are in place at all levels including supervisory, management and leadership development, operator training and general skills development of shop floor employees. Effective coaching and mentoring processes are actively encouraged.
High performing and talented individuals are given the opportunity to continually develop their skills and knowledge. Organisational skills requirements are assessed on a regular basis to determine the skills gaps that occur from time to time. Employees who demonstrate the required ability and characteristics are identified and given the opportunity to assume different or additional responsibilities.
When there is a need to strengthen our skills base by means of external recruitment, the recruitment processes used will depend on the needs and circumstances at the time. One of the methods used is to place details of vacancies on our website which is linked to the Career Junction portal. In order to attract the best talent available, vigorous selection processes are utilised. Shortlisted candidates are expected to participate in a series of interviews by relevant managers and colleagues who will be interacting with the incumbent concerned. The CEO is involved in the final selection of senior management and where appropriate psychometric testing is used.